This Spicy Tomato Skillet Eggs recipe from Chrissy Teigen’s cookbook, Cravings, is a savory, Italian dish and an oh-so-delicious start to the morning!
This book was provided to me through Blogging for Books in exchange for this review. All opinions are my own. This post may contain affiliate links. Making a purchase through one of these links helps support this blog.
Here’s something you may not know about me: I love supermodels! It probably started in the 90’s when some of my favorite supermodels graced the covers of the teen magazines I read religiously (Niki Taylor recently followed me on Twitter and I FREAKED out!). So when I learned that Chrissy Teigen was coming out with a cookbook, I knew I had to have it!
Chrissy Teigen is one of those models that I don’t actually view as a model. As gorgeous as she is, she just seems real. I mean, I would love to be besties with her and John Legend. Especially after learning that Chrissy Teigen can weild a glue gun on her show, Fab Life, and the girl likes to eat! She’s my kind of people! But let me stop obsessing about her and tell you about how much I’m obsessing over her cookbook, Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat.
It’s taken me a long time to publish this post because I had such a hard time deciding which recipe to share. I seriously want to make all of the recipes in this book! But I figured, why not start with the first meal of the day and share a breakfast recipe. I am not into sweets first thing in the morning, so I love a big, savory breakfast. This Spicy Tomato Skillet Eggs recipe was on the money!
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes, or more as desired
- 3 eggs
- 4 slices of prosciutto
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp. chopped, fresh oregano
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Shaved Parmesan cheese
- Crusty bread, for dipping
- In a large skillet, combine tomato sauce and red pepper flakes. Cook over medium-high heat until the sauce begins to boil. Stir to keep sauce from burning.
- Form three wells in the sauce. Then, crack an egg into each well.
- Reduce heat to medium, season with salt and pepper, and cook eggs until are set, but yolk is still runny.
- Halfway through cooking the eggs, tear up proscuitto and form pieces into little bundles.
- Tuck proscuitto bundles into the sauce and allow to cook while eggs set.
- Once everything has cooked, drizzle dish with a little extra virgin olive oil, sprinkle on oregano and shaved Parmesan cheese, and serve with crusty bread for dipping.
The recipe, in the book, calls for Perfect Tomato Sauce (another recipe in the book), but I used my own homemade tomato sauce (a can of crushed tomatoes seasoned with herbs and spices). Then, I took this dish one step further and topped it with a little shaved Parmesan. Freaking yum!
Besides the delicious looking recipes, another thing I loved about this book were the photos. She’s hanging out with her hubby, stuffing her face full of good food, and somehow looking flawless while doing so. Then, there’s her hilarious banter and recipe intros. It’s like catching up with a girlfriend over a good meal. I’m already hungry for Chrissy Teigen’s everything seasoned chicken recipe! This is one cookbook I can’t wait to cook from again!