This post has been sponsored by Social Native and Organic Valley. This post may contain affiliate links. Making a purchase through one of these links helps support this blog.
Add this super colorful Butternut Squash Breakfast Hash to your morning routine. It’s a healthy and delicious breakfast skillet that’s a feast for your eyes and will wake up your taste buds!
Christmas is officially over and we’re about to ring in another year. Maybe you’re considering this your last weekend to indulge in those holiday goodies. We have some not-so-healthy bites on our weekend menu, but my head is already thinking about turning around my eating habits next week. I’m ready to say good-bye to holiday indulgences and stock our fridge full of healthier options.
I don’t know about you, but when I start my day with a healthy meal, I kind of don’t want to wreck that flow the rest of the day. What I eat for breakfast tends to set the tone for what I’ll eat for lunch and dinner. That’s why I’ll have an egg pretty much every single day.
If you asked me what my favorite breakfast food is, I would definitely tell you “eggs.” They’re such a versatile protein. Think about it – there’s not many ways you can eat cereal, but you can switch it up every morning with an egg! I never get bored with breakfast with eggs. My husband likes to whip us up omelets or egg wraps during the weekend. During the week, I start my day with egg whites or a fried egg.
Since most of us are probably thinking about eating healthier, I decided to use some of the seasonal produce I had to create a seriously colorful breakfast hash! I ditched potatoes for butternut squash and cooked it in a skillet alongside onions, kale, and bacon. Then, I topped it with a couple fried eggs.
Want to get a little crazy? Add a few splashes of hot sauce on top before serving! I swear, I get that from my grandmother. The woman used to carry a small bottle of Tabasco sauce in her purse and splash her eggs with it in the morning. Now, I kind of see why she did it! It adds the perfect amount of flavor and heat to wake up your taste buds!
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups butternut squash, cubed
- 6 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Generous 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
- 2-3 cups kale, stems removed and chopped
- 2 eggs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Add the butternut squash and onion. Cook for 8-10 minutes, or until they soften.
- Then, add in the kale. Cook just until it softens, a few minutes.
- Sprinkle with crumbled bacon and stir.
- Lower heat to keep the skillet warm.
- In a small pan, cook two eggs however you like them. Then, place them on top of the skillet, season with salt and pepper, and serve.
This breakfast hash is perfect for weekends and reheats beautifully during the week. Just add it back into a skillet with a little olive oil and warm it up. Then, f
PIN FOR LATER