This Easy Cheesy Bacon Cheeseburger Pie is a childhood favorite that’s still just as good as an adult! It has all the flavor of a bacon cheeseburger wrapped in a pie crust!
This post may contain affiliate links. Making a purchase through one of these links helps support this blog.
Growing up, my mom used to make us cheeseburger pie. It was one of those special meals that we really looked forward to as kids. Mom made her cheeseburger pie with a ground beef pie filling. Then, it was topped with a layer of creamy mashed potatoes and cheddar cheese. It was a simple dish, but it was so delicious! The ultimate definition of comfort food!
A few weeks, while I was deciding what to make for dinner, I wanted to try making my own version of cheeseburger pie. I had a box of pie crust in the freezer, some ground beef, bacon, and lots of cheese! The recipe ended up being so good that I made it again a few weeks later!
This version is so different than the one my mom used to make us, but still very easy to put together and tastes just like a cheeseburger! The filling is a bit more complex, too. My filling includes chopped bacon, onions, garlic powder, mustard, ketchup, and an ingredient that I really think pulls this dish together – pickle brine!
Instead of shredded cheddar or cheddar cheese slices, I used a couple Velveeta Fresh Packs I had on hand (complimentary from Influenster). It took this cheeseburger pie to the next level! But you can definitely use shredded cheddar in place of it. Although, my husband totally recommends going for the Velveeta!
Easy Cheesy Bacon Cheeseburger Pie
This childhood favorite is still just as good as an adult! Plus, it’s pretty easy to put together making it a great weeknight meal for the family!
The first thing you want to do is prepare your pie crust dough in a pie plate and set it aside. Then, add chopped bacon to a skillet and cook just until it’s nice and crispy. Transfer it to paper towels to drain and set aside.
Now we’re going to wipe out the pan and add our ground beef. Brown it up and make sure it’s good and crumbled. Drain and add it back into the skillet.
Add in your onion, bacon, garlic powder, mustard, ketchup, and pickle brine. Season with salt and pepper. Stir and cook just until the onion starts to soften.
Now you’re going to add in half of the Velveeta cheese. Stir it until it gets nice and melted throughout the ground beef mixture. Remove from heat.
Bread crumbs help to hold the mixture all together. Add 1/4 cup of bread crumbs to the ground beef mixture and stir. At this point, you can add the ground beef mixture to the prepared pie crust.
For the cheesy topping, I used the other half of the Velveeta and melted it down with some milk in a saucepan to make an easy cheese sauce.
Finish putting the pie together by drizzling an egg over the top of the ground beef mixture. Then, pour your cheese sauce over the top of the pie. Spread it out evenly and add more bacon on top, if desired.
Bake the pie bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the cheese starts to bubble. Serve with a side of pickle chips!
- 1 refrigerated pie crust, brought to room temperature
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. mustard
- 1 tbsp. ketchup
- 1/2 tsp. pickle brine
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 Velveeta Fresh Packs, chopped and divided
- 1/4 cup milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Roll out the pie crust just enough so it hangs over the side of your pie plate. Then, place in your pie plate, rolling the edge of the pie crust over into the plate and crimping it.
- Add chopped bacon to a medium skillet and cook about 8 minutes, or until crispy. Drain and set aside, reserving a little to top the pie.
- Wipe out the skillet and add the ground beef. Cook the ground beef until it's browned, about 10 minutes.
- Drain the beef and add in the onion, garlic powder, mustard, ketchup, and pickle brine. Season with salt and pepper. Cook just until the onion begins to soften, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add half of the chopped Velveeta cheese. Stir just until melted. Remove the beef mixture from heat.
- Stir in the bread crumbs. Then, spoon into the prepared pie crust.
- Drizzle the egg over the top of the beef mixture and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, add the rest of the chopped Velveeta cheese and 1/4 cup of milk. Heat over low and stir just until the cheese is melted and you have a smooth cheese sauce.
- Pour the cheese over the top of the pie and spread evenly. Sprinkle a little bacon on top, if desired.
- Bake pie in the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until the cheese starts to bubble.
- Allow the pie to cool for a couple minutes before slicing.
- Serve with a side of pickle chips.
If you want to use shredded cheddar cheese instead of Velveeta, use 2 cups of shredded cheese. Add 1 cup for the beef mixture and 1 cup for the cheese topping.
A Recipe the Whole Family Will Love!
Is this cheeseburger pie the healthiest recipe? Nope! But it sure is good! If you’re looking for an easy weeknight meal to make that the whole family will love, give this bacon cheeseburger pie a try!
Did you make this Easy Cheesy Bacon Cheeseburger Pie recipe? Share it on social media using the hashtag #livinglavidaeats. Don’t forget to tag me @lavidaholoka!
PIN FOR LATER