This post may contain affiliate links. Making a purchase through one of these links helps support this blog.
Celebrate National Spumoni Day with buttery, light, and crispy Spumoni Cookies that have it all – chocolate, cherries, and crushed pistachios!
I broke this cookie recipe out of the archives for National Spumoni Day! Yup! It’s a thing. But before I get into that, I have to admit something that’s total proof that I did not inherit my mother’s amazing baking skills. Case in point – I made a mistake while baking up these cookies and realized what I did as I was writing up my recipe. The recipe I was working off of called for one stick of butter. Just one. I threw two whole sticks of unsalted butter into my cookie dough recipe instead. Somewhere Paula Deen is smiling.
But it wasn’t a total fail.
At first, it seemed like this recipe was going to be scrapped and I’d have to work on a Plan B for today. My first batch of cookies were super thin and pretty burnt on the bottom – like dark as night and inedible. Just when I was close to giving up hope, wondering why this recipe wasn’t working out the way it should have (I repeat – TWO STICKS OF BUTTER), I lined my baking sheets with parchment paper. A-ha! Good save!
That seemed to do the trick. The cookies were still thin from all that buttery goodness, but the parchment paper kept them from burning on the bottom. Instead, they turned a nice, golden brown on the bottom and around the edges. They cooled down into a light, and crispy cookie that I ended up enjoying a lot more than I thought I would! After telling my husband about my mess up, he said, “That’s why they’re so good!” So go ahead and toss in two sticks of butter! Mo’ butter, mo’ better!
But back to Spumoni Day since this is what this recipe’s all about. Spumoni is an Italian gelato made with pistachio, cherry, and chocolate or vanilla. It’s good stuff and you can enjoy any time of year with this cookie recipe. Of course, this recipe usually comes out of hiding during Christmas when I do my holiday baking. It’s a favorite in my family. Usually I cheat by using sugar cookie mix, but I decided to put on my big girl oven mitts and work from scratch. Aside from my butter flub, I’d pretty much call it a success.
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 3/4 tsp. baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2/3 cup dried cherries
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate morsels
- 1/3 cup pistachios, crushed or chopped
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, add the softened butter and sugar and mix just until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract. Mix until combined.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter mixture.
- Fold in the cherries, chocolate morsels, and pistachios.
- Chill cookie dough in the fridge for about 5-8 minutes.
- Prepare baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Drop chilled cookie dough in tablespoons onto the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the edges start to turn golden brown.
- Allow cookies to cool completely and enjoy!
Celebrate National Spumoni Day with a batch of these cookies that ended up being a happy mistake! All of that butter seemed little extra (in every sense of the word), but it was totally worth it in the end!
My only tip is that the parchment paper is basically a necessity. Also, keep an eye on these cookies so they don’t go beyond that perfectly gorgeous, golden brown point. Let them cool for a few minutes, then slide them off the baking sheet with a spatula and allow them cool completely on foil sheets or cooling racks.
PIN FOR LATER