This easy Ham and Cheese Hash Brown Frittata is a comforting egg dish that’s loaded with leftover ham, shredded hash browns, and cheddar cheese!
This post may contain affiliate links. Making a purchase through one of these links helps support this blog.
Pre-pandemic, I used to do our regular grocery shopping once a week. But every now and then, I’d sneak out for a few extra ingredients or some fresh produce. Now, I go to the store every few weeks and stock up so I don’t have leave the house.
During one of my last shopping trips, I picked up a small, Hatfield pre-sliced ham for us to have for Easter. I figured that the ham and some of the vegetables from my Hungryroot deliveries would be enough for the two of us. It ended up being more than enough for our quiet Easter dinner!
We had leftover vegetables for lunches the next day and plenty of ham! I think I look forward to holiday ham just for the leftovers! Since my husband is still working, he took some of the leftovers for lunch. And I had plans to use the rest in a frittata.
I love making frittatas! Start with a base of eggs and milk (or heavy cream) and whatever you add to your frittata is up to you! Frittatas are super easy to make and perfect for using up leftover ingredients!
Not only did I have leftover ham to use in my frittata, but I also had a bag of shredded hash browns in our freezer. As far as I’m concerned, potatoes make everything better! They’re the ultimate comfort food! This frittata isn’t just a delicious breakfast, it’s like a warm and cozy hug for your belly!
Ham and Cheese Hash Brown Frittata
I started this frittata by cooking the hash browns in my cast iron skillet with a little olive oil. Once they started to brown on the bottom, I added in some onion and ham. When the onions started to soften, I removed everything from the skillet. Then, I whisked up the eggs and milk and poured that into the skillet. I also added a splash of Tabasco sauce into my egg mixture. It’s totally optional, but I loved the little extra kick of flavor it gave the frittata!
When the eggs started to set around the edges, I dumped the potato mixture back in and added cheddar cheese. After the eggs cooked on the stove top for about five minutes, I placed the frittata in the oven to cook the rest of the way. The result is a light and fluffy frittata!
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, plus more as needed
- 3 cups frozen shredded hash browns
- 1/3 cup onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups ham, chopped
- 6 large eggs
- 1/3 cup milk, or heavy cream
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar
- Optional: Tabasco sauce, chopped green onions
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Heat olive oil in a cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Add the hash browns to the skillet in an even layer. Let them sit for about 5 minutes, or until they develop a golden crust on the bottom.
- Mix in the onion and allow the hash browns to sit again for a few more minutes.
- Stir in the ham. Then, remove the mixture from the skillet and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the eggs, milk, and a splash of Tabasco sauce, if desired. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add a little more olive oil to the cast iron skillet, if necessary, and pour in the egg mixture.
- Cook the eggs for about 5 minutes. While the eggs are starting to set, add the hash brown mixture back into the skillet and sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
- Place the frittata in the preheated oven and cook for 18 minutes, or until the eggs are set and the edges are golden brown.
- Allow the frittata to cool slightly before serving. Serve with chopped green onions, if desired.
I always like to slice up my frittatas and keep them wrapped up in the fridge for an easy heat-and-eat breakfast or lunch. The slices reheat great in the microwave. All you need is a couple minutes and you have an easy and satisfying meal!
Did you make this Ham and Cheese Hash Brown Frittata recipe? Share your pics on Instagram using the hashtag #livinglavidaeats. Don’t forget to tag me @lavidaholoka!
PIN FOR LATER