This post may contain affiliate links. Making a purchase through one of these links helps support this blog.
Love sausage, peppers, and onions and Italian hot dogs, but not the grease? These Sausage, Pepper, Onion, and Potato Kebabs are a fun way to enjoy those Italian flavors in a great summertime recipe!
It’s funny, but ever since we’ve updated our kitchen, I’ve been using the outdoor grill a lot more. I had joked that I was afraid to cook in our kitchen because it looks so nice now. But I’m starting to think that maybe it wasn’t all a joke after all! Then again, the weather has been perfect for grilling lately. We’ve even managed to dine al fresco on our deck a few nights! Grilling season definitely feels like it’s upon us!
While we were doing our kitchen, I was without a stove for a couple nights. And when I had a stove, I was without counter space. So I opted to take dinner out to the grill. One night, I made us a simple barbecue chicken and paired it with baby potato skewers and a side of sour cream and chives. It was delicious!
I had never cooked potatoes on the grill before, but it’s quickly become a new, favorite way to make them! Which is why I was really excited to make this recipe for dinner earlier this week!
During a recent visit to my parents’ house, we somehow got on the subject of Italian hot dogs. If you’ve never had one before, it might be because they’re kind of a New Jersey thing. They’re made with a fried hot dog or sausage placed in an Italian roll and topped with peppers, onions, potatoes, and spicy mustard. I mean, it’s a big hot dog, but it’s so good!
So I took inspiration from Italian hot dogs and turned them into healthier kebabs. It’s a less greasy way to enjoy those same flavors! Basically, these kebabs are a deconstructed Italian hot dog! Spicy Italian sausage is cut into chunks and skewered along with peppers, onions, and baby potatoes. Serve them with a bun or Italian roll and don’t forget the mustard!
- 6 Italian sausage links (3 sweet, 3 hot), cut in half
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into chunks
- 1/2 small onion, cut into chunks
- 6 baby potatoes, halved
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Optional: buns, spicy hot mustard
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Thread the sausage, peppers, onion, and potatoes onto a skewer. If using both hot and sweet sausage, make sure to mix them when threading them onto the kebab for a nice, spicy and sweet combo.
- Brush the peppers, onions, and potatoes with a little olive oil.
- Then, place the skewers onto the grill.
- Cook for about 20 minutes, turning occasionally, until the sausage and potatoes are cooked through and the veggies start to char around the edges.
- Serve with buns, if desired, and spicy hot mustard.
If spicy sausage isn’t your thing, use sweet Italian sausage or even a nice chicken sausage instead. These kebabs are a quick, easy weeknight meal or a fun way to serve a crowd during your next barbecue! They’d also make a great addition to your 4th of July celebration menu!
If you’ve never had an Italian hot dog before, this recipe might save you a few calories, but it definitely won’t skimp on flavor! It’s time to bring a little Jersey to the grill this summer!
PIN FOR LATER