This post has been sponsored by Social Native and BUSH’S Black Bean Fiesta™. This post may contain affiliate links. Making a purchase through one of these links helps support this blog.
Go meatless on Taco Tuesday or Cinco de Mayo with these smoky, chipotle Jackfruit & Black Bean Tostadas topped with crunchy lettuce, Cojita cheese, and green onions!
I have a newfound obsession with jackfruit! I was a bit iffy about trying jackfruit in savory dishes at first. It’s fruit! How could it possibly be a good meat substitute?
Well, it’s basically magic.
Eaten raw, jackfruit has a sweet, mango-ish flavor to it (it’s been compared to the flavor to Juicy Fruit gum). The young, unripened fruit is used as a meat alternative in savory dishes. I’m not going to tell you that it tastes like chicken when it’s cooked – because it doesn’t – but it shreds beautifully and makes an amazing taco filling!
I’ve found jackfruit frozen at WholeFoods, packaged in the refrigerator aisle, but never in its original form. So imagine my delight when my husband and I walked to a nearby grocery store and I found precut slices of jackfruit for sale. Ever since finding these extremely exotic fruits locally, I’ve been buying one on every trip!
The presliced jackfruit is ripe already. However, the newbie that I am has used the sweet stuff in savory tacos before and – I’m not going to lie – it wasn’t terrible. However, the unripened fruit works way better! Kind of like tofu, it takes on the flavor of whatever sauce you’re cooking it in.
A flavorful tostada made with simple ingredients!
I’ve taken my love for jackfruit tacos to a new level and recently made tostadas. I used BUSH’S Black Bean Fiesta™ (note: these beans aren’t vegetarian) as my bottom layer. The black beans made in a chipotle sauce with peppers and corn. Very tasty and the smokiness of the chipotle sauce works really well with the jackfruit!
I also topped my tostadas with a crunchy lettuce mix, cojita cheese, and sliced green onions. That’s it! Simple ingredients to make a really flavorful tostada! Make them for Taco Tuesday or Cinco de Mayo!
- Corn tostada shells
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 10 oz. can young jackfruit, drained
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- Generous 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- 1 small lime, juiced
- 1/4 cup mild taco sauce
- 1 tbsp. water + more, as needed
- 15 oz. can BUSH’S Black Bean Fiesta™
- Optional toppings: chopped lettuce, Cojita cheese, green onions
- Heat 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat.
- Add the jackfruit and break it apart as it cooks.
- Stir in the cumin, paprika, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, and lime juice.
- Then, add the taco sauce.
- Add a tablespoon of water, as needed, to keep the jackfruit from drying out. The jackfruit will be done when it starts to caramelize on the edges.
- While the jackfruit is cooking, warm up the BUSH’S Black Bean Fiesta™ in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Warm up tostada shells in the oven for a few minutes.
- Then, start layering the tostadas with beans, jackfruit, lettuce, cheese, and green onions. Serve with hot sauce, if desired.
If cayenne pepper is too much heat for you, you can omit it from this recipe. The BUSH’S Black Bean Fiesta™ has a nice little kick to it already. If you want to keep these tostadas vegetarian, look for a vegetarian labeled can of black beans instead.
Find young, green jackfruit in cans or packaged in the refrigerator section of grocery stores. You’ve got to try jackfruit at least once. It’s wild how good it is in Mexican-inspired dishes! These black bean layered tostadas are probably going to become my new favorite way to cook up this strange, but delicious fruit!
Have you tried jackfruit before?
PIN FOR LATER