If you made a promise to yourself to eat more veggies (or less meat) this year, put this Vegetable Stir Fry with Chickpeas on your menu rotation! It’s a quick, one pan dish that’s ridiculously easy to make and full of flavor and crunch!
This post may contain affiliate links. Making a purchase through one of these links helps support this blog.
My sister works about five minutes away from our house, so we spend a lot of lunches together. Sometimes I cook, sometimes she brings lunch over for us. Because of our lunches, I’ve learned a lot about plant based meals. Last year, my sister went on a plant based diet and reintroduced it to me after the holidays.
One of the first plant based dishes that we ate together was a vegetarian stir fry that she made. It had broccoli, carrots, onions, peppers, mushrooms, and snap peas in it. But the one ingredient that was really unexpected (and pretty darn brilliant) was chickpeas!
The only vegetarian stir fries I’ve ever had were made with tofu. In fact, tofu was the main protein in most of the vegetarian dishes I’ve eaten. Now, I’m a girl who doesn’t mind the taste and texture of a good, firm tofu. In fact, I actually enjoy it! But chickpeas are my jam! I buy club-sized cases of them just so we never run out!
So a couple weeks ago, I got a craving for Chinese food. Instead of hitting up the takeout menu, I decided to make my sister’s plant based stir fry and invited her back over for lunch. It hit the spot, it was filling, and it was a delicious way to use up some of the veggies sitting in my fridge!
This stir fry gets a big boost of flavor from garlic, onion, ginger, and a splash of coconut aminos added at the end of cooking. It has a ton of satisfying crunch and a ton of colorful veggies! I promise that you won’t even miss the meat!
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 1/3 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrot chips, halved
- 3 cups broccoli florets, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper. sliced
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 - 15 oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3 tbsp. coconut aminos, or low sodium soy sauce
- Sesame seeds, for garnishing
- Heat olive oil in a wok over medium heat.
- Add garlic, ginger, and onion and cook until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the carrots and cook for 2 minutes.
- Then, add the remaining vegetables and chickpeas to the wok and stir fry about 8 minutes.
- Stir in the coconut aminos and stir fry for 3-4 more minutes.
- Then, sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve over brown rice, if desired.
I turned this stir fry into lunch bowls by spooning it over some brown rice that I cooked in veggie broth. You can easily turn this dish into easy meal prep for the week by doing the same. Don’t forget to add an extra splash of coconut aminos or a little Sriracha!
Did you make this Vegetable Stir Fry with Chickpeas recipe? Share it on social media using the hashtag #livinglavidaeats. Don’t forget to tag me @lavidaholoka!
PIN FOR LATER