Use fresh or frozen corn to whip up a summertime salad made with tomato, feta, and an easy cilantro-lime dressing that’s perfect for barbecues!
This post may contain affiliate links. Making a purchase through one of these links helps support this blog.
I feel like side dishes get the spotlight in summertime and rightfully so. With barbecues, parties, and nights spent outside, summer is such a great time to enjoy an entree on the grill and a spread of simple side dishes. There are all kinds of great salads to make during the summer since fresh produce is at its peak! Now is the perfect time to get fresh corn. Kernels are just the right size and bursting with sweetness! An ear of corn on the grill is one of my favorite summer sides. But so is turning it into a salad!
The first time I made this salad, I used a couple ears of corn that I received in my fresh box. Usually when I have leftover corn on the cob, I cut off the kernels and turn it into a salad. The corn is sweet from being grilled and all I have to do is add some other fresh ingredients and a simple vinaigrette to make a light side dish. I decided to make this dish again, but this time I used frozen corn.
Corn Salad with Tomato, Feta and Cilantro
Fresh is always best, but this corn salad went just as fast! The secret is letting the frozen corn thaw for a bit. Then, drain the excess water. Throw it in a pan with a little olive oil and it will get brown and roasted on the outside. It’s a great alternative for when you can’t get to the grill or the season for fresh corn is over.
And just like corn, I wait all summer for those ripe and juicy tomatoes! Every summer we have a variety of tomatoes growing in our garden, as well as red onions. So of course I put both of them in this salad! Then, I finished the salad off with a simple cilantro-lime dressing made with lime juice, fresh cilantro, vinegar, honey, garlic, and chile powder. It’s the perfect blend of southwestern inspired flavors to bring this salad together!
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cups fresh or frozen sweet corn kernels
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. honey
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 tsp. fresh cilantro
- 1/4 tsp. chile powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Crumbled feta cheese
- Heat 1 tbsp. olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add the corn and spread in an even layer. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until the corn begins to brown. Stir halfway through cooking and spread the corn evenly in the pan once again.
- Remove the corn from the skillet and allow to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, mix the corn, grape tomatoes, onion, and cilantro. Set aside.
- In a blender, add the lime juice, vinegar, honey, garlic, cilantro, and chile powder. Blend until smooth.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and stir to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve with crumbled feta cheese on top.
Like most salads, it’s better if you can make this a couple hours before you decide to serve it. That way the corn can just marinade and soak in all of that great flavor from the dressing. If you do make this salad ahead of time, I wouldn’t put the feta cheese on until you’re ready to serve it.
Did you make this Corn Salad with Tomato, Feta, and Cilantro recipe? Share it on social media using the hashtag #livinglavidaeats. Don’t forget to tag me @lavidaholoka!
PIN FOR LATER