All you need is one pan to make this easy and flavorful Chicken Sausage and Potato Skillet with peppers and onions!
This post may contain affiliate links. Making a purchase through one of these links helps support this blog.
I love sausage and peppers. And potatoes (oh, I love me some potatoes)! But my husband isn’t the biggest fan of pork sausage. I think it’s a bit too greasy for him. Thanks to my Hungryroot box, we’ve been able to get a couple varieties of chicken sausage and he seems to enjoy that a lot better.
In fact, I think I enjoy chicken sausage a lot better, too! It’s healthier than pork sausage, it’s definitely less greasy, but still has a lot of great, Italian flavor! There are also a ton of chicken sausage varieties available, including breakfast sausage, so you can experiment with different dishes.
Chicken Sausage and Potato Skillet
We have a bunch of chicken sausage links in the freezer right now and my father-in-law dropped off some beautiful bell peppers from his garden about a week ago. I also had some mini peppers and tiny creamer potatoes in the fridge, so I decided to make a sausage and potato skillet dinner with a mix of peppers and some onion.
I added about a tablespoon or two of olive oil to my cast iron skillet and used a paper towel to wipe the bottom. Then, I cooked my chicken sausage links and let them rest. While the sausage rested, I added halved potatoes to the pan, letting them brown on the cut side. Then, the onion, garlic, and peppers went into the pan. I sliced the sausage, added that back in, topped it with a little fresh oregano, salt and pepper, and was done!
The creamer potatoes were from Little Potato Company, so all I had to do was heat them in the microwave for 5 minutes to soften them. If you’re using fresh creamer or baby potatoes, you can boil them first. Or slice them and add them directly to the skillet. They might take a little longer to soften that way, but you’ll still get a nice, crispy outside.
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. chicken sausage links
- 3 cups Little Potato Company creamer potatoes
- 2 cloves, garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup onion, quartered
- 2 cups sliced peppers
- 1 tsp. fresh oregano, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Add about a tablespoon or two of olive oil to a cast iron skillet, wiping the bottom with a paper towel to coat it evenly. Heat skillet over medium heat.
- Add chicken sausage to the skillet. Prick the sausages with a fork and cook for about 7-10 minutes, flipping halfway through, or until sausage is completely cooked. Set sausage aside.
- Prepare the creamer potatoes according to package. Let cool, then slice the potatoes in half.
- Wipe out the skillet and add the potatoes, cooking cut-side-down for about 8 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Stir the potatoes and add the garlic, onion, and sliced peppers to the skillet. Cook for about 5-7 minutes, or until the peppers just start to soften.
- Slice the sausage and add back into the skillet.
- Stir in the fresh oregano, season with salt and pepper, and serve.
Serve this skillet with spicy mustard for some extra zing! This is an easy weeknight dinner that made enough leftovers for lunch. You could even enjoy it for breakfast the next day with an egg on top!
Did you make this Chicken Sausage and Potato Skillet recipe? Share it on social media using the hashtag #livinglavidaeats. Don’t forget to tag me @lavidaholoka!
PIN FOR LATER