This post may contain affiliate links. Making a purchase through one of these links helps support this blog.
These low-carb Turkey Taco Stuffed Tomatoes are a healthier way to celebrate Taco Tuesday by ditching the tortilla and keeping traditional taco flavors!
Here’s the thing – when you go on any sort of special diet, you tend to get bored and discouraged after a while. Well, as a foodie, I’m not going to let that happen to you or to me! It’s only been a couple of weeks, but I’ve been doing pretty well on my version of the Fast Metabolism Diet (with a few weekend slip-ups, but I’m only human). I’m not only feeling a hell of a lot better, but I’ve lost a few pounds just by tweaking my meals and snacks.
I’m viewing this more as a lifestyle change than a diet. After all, “diet” is a word that can trigger negative feelings. And there’s already enough negativity in the world! So while I’ve added a lot more whole grains, fruits, veggies, and lean proteins to my meal plan, I also refuse to ditch pizza night and give up some of the other foods I love.
Turkey Taco Stuffed Tomatoes – a low carb way to enjoy Taco Tuesday!
For instance, today is Taco Tuesday and it’s just as much of a celebration in our house as pizza night. But on the FMD, I can’t have taco shells or tortillas (unless they’re sprouted grain tortillas). I also shouldn’t have dairy. So there goes like half of a taco right there!
As the crafty gal that I am, I figured out a way to still get my Taco Tuesday fix! So I’m stuffing taco seasoned ground turkey into a tomato and topping it with green onions, lettuce, olives, and hot sauce. And maybe sneaking in a dollop of plain Greek yogurt, in place of sour cream, and a little, teeny-tiny sprinkle of shredded cheddar.
You could also flip this recipe by stuffing peppers and adding chopped tomatoes on top. But it’s summer in NJ, so we’ve got plenty of fresh Jersey tomatoes growing in our backyard garden! Our tomatoes are the perfect size to stuff – not too big and not too small.
If your tomatoes are on the smaller size, two should be a sufficient serving. However, if you’re using a larger tomato, like a big ol’ beefsteak, consider that a full serving.
- 1/2 pound ground turkey
- 2 tbsp. taco seasoning
- 6 tbsp. water
- 1/2 small jalapeño pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 4 medium tomatoes, tops removed
- Optional taco toppings: sliced green onions, shredded cheddar, sliced black olives, lite sour cream or plain Greek yogurt, hot sauce
- Cook the turkey meat in a skillet over medium heat, breaking apart the meat as it cooks.
- When the turkey has browned, add in the taco seasoning and water.
- Once the taco seasoning has been fully incorporated into the meat, add in the jalapeño and red onion. Lower the heat.
- With the tops removed off of the tomatoes, scoop the insides and chop. Add the chopped tomato to the skillet and stir to combine.
- Remove the turkey taco mixture from heat and spoon into each tomato.
- Serve with your favorite taco toppings and enjoy!
Double this recipe to meal prep it! Keep your scooped out tomatoes separate and spoon in the taco meat before enjoying. You could even prep the taco toppings ahead of time by keeping small containers of chopped ingredients handy. It’s easy meal prep and a great way to enjoy tacos when you’re on a low-carb diet!
Share your pics of this low-carb, keto-friendly, taco recipe on social media using the hashtag #livinglavidaeats. Don’t forget to tag me @lavidaholoka!
PIN FOR LATER