Need a simple recipe for your next barbecue or holiday get-together? These Tortellini Caprese Salad Skewers are quick, easy, and so delicious!
This post may contain affiliate links. Making a purchase through one of these links helps support this blog.
I looked at the calendar the other day and had to do a double-take. It can’t possibly be almost September already! I’ll ask it again, “Where is this year going?” Labor Day is next Monday. So if you haven’t already, now is the time to start planning your end-of-summer barbecues! I love the fall, but I’m trying to cram in every last bit of summer that I can enjoy until it’s officially over. That includes backyard barbecues and all of the delicious food that goes along with them!
Salads are definitely one of my go-to barbecue foods to make and to dig into. I’m not just talking about a bowl of greens either. Although a nice, chopped salad is good, it doesn’t compare to pasta salads and salads made with garden tomatoes, herbs, and other fresh ingredients. Caprese salads will forever be a summer favorite of mine! Since we grow a lot of tomatoes in our garden, it’s a salad I make over and over again throughout the summer season.
The other night, we barbecued dinner. I decided to create a salad on a stick recipe that was perfect side dish. This recipe would also be great for barbecues, parties, and holidays! These little Caprese salad bites are made with just a few ingredients. It’s a winning appetizer that takes almost no time or effort to make! I guarantee that everyone will love these skewers!
These Tortellini Caprese Salad Skewers are seriously the perfect combination of fresh ingredients, cheese, and yummy pasta! They’re delicious on their own, but I like to serve them with a drizzle of balsamic glaze, too. It just brings the dish altogether.
- 8 oz. bag cheese tortellini (half a 16 oz. bag of frozen tortellini)
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, rinsed and halved
- 8 oz. small fresh mozzarella
- Fresh basil leaves
- Optional: balsamic glaze
- 4-inch bamboo skewers
- Bring a pot of salted water to boil. Add tortellini and cook for a few minutes, until pasta has softened and floated to the top of the pot.
- Drain tortellini and rinse with cold water. Allow pasta to cool in a strainer.
- Once pasta has cooled, start assembling your skewers.
- Skewer a mozzarella ball, then a tomato half, a basil leaf (folded in half, if necessary), and a tortellini.
- Continue until all ingredients are used up.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.
- Drizzle with balsamic glaze, if desired.
- Pro tip: Take ingredients off of any leftover skewers. Chop basil and mix all of the ingredients together in a bowl with balsamic vinaigrette to make a delicious pasta salad!
So if you’re like me and totally forgot that Labor Day is just around the corner, this is a quick and easy recipe to make for your holiday barbecue! How will you be celebrating Labor Day this year?
PIN FOR LATER