Warm Brussels Sprouts Salad is the perfect portable side dish for an office potluck or family feast. Seasonal produce is served with bacon, blue cheese, and pecans. A unique side dish to liven up the holiday dinner menu.
This post may contain affiliate links. Making a purchase through one of these links helps support this blog.
Originally published on sofabfood.com on November 28, 2018.
What is it about holiday food that just makes it taste so good? Is it the traditional recipes? The seasonal flavors? Or is it the company you enjoy it with? For me, it’s all of the above. While the places we gather might change over the years, that comforting feeling we get from sitting down together at the holiday table always seems to stay the same.
What’s on Your Holiday Menu?
During the holidays, the more side dishes that grace the table, the better. I love a variety of different holiday dishes to choose from and flavors that are warm and seasonal. One of my favorite holiday sides is Brussels sprouts and nothing goes better with Brussels sprouts than bacon!
Everything Tastes Better with Bacon!
The slightly bitter flavor of the Brussels sprouts and the saltiness of the bacon is the perfect pair. Even though Brussels sprouts with bacon makes a great side dish on its own, I wanted to make a holiday-worthy salad full of seasonal produce and flavors that tastes like the holiday season!
One of my favorite ways to enjoy fresh Brussels sprouts is in a salad. For the holidays, I’ll be serving this Warm Brussels Sprouts Salad. It’s made with bacon, onions, pecan pieces, and blue cheese all tossed with fresh Brussels sprouts. You can serve this dish on its own or with a maple balsamic vinegar.
I picked up my maple balsamic from a local artisan oil and balsamic vinegar shop, but a balsamic glaze would work just as well. This salad is delicious all on its own, but if you can find a maple balsamic, it’s totally recommended to kick up that seasonal flavor!
- 6 strips of bacon, chopped
- 16 oz fresh Brussels Sprouts, cleaned and halved
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- Raw pecan pieces
- Crumbled blue cheese
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional: maple balsamic vinegar
- In a medium skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until crispy, about 8-10 minutes. Remove from pan, drain, and set aside.
- Wipe out the pan and add about a tablespoon of olive oil. Cook the onion just until the pieces turn translucent and soften. Then, add the Brussels sprouts.
- Cook, stirring continuously, until the Brussels sprouts begin to brown. The Brussels sprouts brown within minutes, so make sure to keep them moving. Once a nice, browned edge has been achieved, remove the pan from the heat.
- Season the Brussels sprouts with salt and pepper. Then, plate and sprinkle pecan pieces and crumbled blue cheese.
- Serve warm with maple balsamic vinegar, if desired.
Home Chef Tip: If you're not a fan of blue cheese, sub in a crumbled goat cheese, Gorgonzola, or even a shredded Parmesan cheese.
This portable side dish serves about four, so you might want to double it or even triple it depending on the size of your holiday crowd. It’s a simple side dish to enjoy on your holiday menu and beyond. It’s super flavorful, full of crunch, and so easy to make and transport to your holiday destination! If you’re lucky enough to have leftovers, it’s even good cold the next day!