Friday night has been pizza night for us ever since we started dating back in 2008. If you think about it, that’s a lot of pizza that we’ve consumed over the years (not including weekends and the occasional week night over my parents’ house for my dad’s homemade pizza and mussels)!
So today I thought I would share an easy, low carb way to enjoy all of the great flavors of pizza on a zucchini base. I would love to tell you that this is an entirely healthy recipe. Sure, it’s a lot healthier than a large pie with everything on it. But it all really depends on what you choose to top your zucchini pizza boats with. I’m actually a big fan of veggie toppings, but I also love all kinds of cheese! I topped one of my zucchini boats with fresh mozzarella, sun-dried tomatoes, fresh basil, and shaved Parmesan. The other was topped with shredded mozzarella, fresh basil, and a sprinkle of red chili pepper flakes.
With Summer just a couple months away, I can’t wait to have zucchini fresh from the garden again to make these! But for now, I was able to find four perfectly sized zucchinis at the super marker this week. I have plans to spiralize some of it, but this zucchini pizza boat recipe was a quick and delicious lunch to whip up while I was hustling away at some blog work.
- Small zucchini, washed and dried, with ends trimmed
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Crushed tomato sauce, or favorite pizza sauce
- Shredded mozzarella, or other cheese
- Garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Pizza toppings
- Preheat oven to 400º and line a baking sheet with foil. Spray foil with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cut zucchini in halves, lengthwise. Use a spoon to carefully scrape out seeds.
- Place zucchini skin side down on prepared baking sheet.
- Brush a little extra virgin olive oil onto each zucchini and sprinkle with garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Spoon a little tomato sauce into each zucchini boat. Then top with shredded cheese and your favorite pizza toppings.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until cheese starts to bubble.
- Remove from oven and add more toppings, as you wish.