I was provided product samples free of charge from Oriental Trading in exchange for my honest opinion. No other compensation was provided for this post.
Today is Flag Day and the older I get, the more patriotic I tend to feel during these holidays. Maybe it’s the fact that when you’re young, you’re not always exposed to friends and family shipping off to the armed forces. We tend to take our freedom for granted a lot of time. But when 9/11 happened, it opened up my eyes to the sad situations happening all over the world. And it’s made me so thankful for our country and for our independence.
I mean, I’ve rocked one of those classic Old Navy $5 flag shirts with the best of them on the 4th of July as a teen. But it isn’t just about wearing the American flag for a day while you barbecue and shooting off fireworks. It’s about being thankful every single day. As a woman who sees how other women are forced to live in other countries, I will never take advantage of my independence.
So today I wanted to share an easy DIY tassel necklace so you can show off your pride any day of the week. This tassel necklace gets a patriotic touch from its star charm. It’s festive enough for the 4th, but subtle enough to wear throughout the year.
- 1.8 m gold chain
- Red, pink, or blue faux leather tassel
- Gold star charms
- 4 gold jump rings
- Spring clasp closure
- Cut the chain to your desired size. I cut my chain about 25 inches long.
- Open up 2 jump rings and add one to each end of the chain.
- Slip each end of the spring clasp onto each of the jump rings. Close jump rings with pliers.
- Next, find the center of the necklace. Open a jump ring and slip it onto the center of the chain.
- Add a tassel and close the jump ring.
- About halfway up one side of the necklace, add the last jump ring.
- Slip a star charm onto the jump ring and close.
- Rock your patriotic necklace with pride!
You can find supplies to make this DIY tassel necklace on Oriental Trading! The tassels came in multiple colors, but I used a pink and a blue tassel. I also got the gold star charms from there. Add as many charms as you like to this necklace. I wanted to keep it rather simple.
So whether you need a necklace to wear to your next backyard barbecue or you want to show off your patriotism in a subtle fashion, this is an easy DIY necklace you’ll want to wear all year long!
PIN FOR LATER