It’s berry season again and we’ve been picking raspberries like crazy lately! And by “we,” I mean Hunter and me. He likes to sniff out the low ones and I get the ones on top and in the middle of the bush. We’ve already picked all of our strawberries and our blackberries are just beginning to pop. I love this time of year when I can just head to the backyard to pick fresh fruit!
At the end of the Summer, we usually have so many berries that we don’t know what to do with them. That’s when I start turning the berries into jam and canning it. I don’t really use jam and I don’t know a lot of people that use it either. Just like our raspberries, I usually end up with more jars of jam than I can use at a time. So I’d much rather freeze my berries for smoothies or bake with them.
I love a good berry crumble, so I decided to make raspberry crumble bars with some other ingredients I happened to have on hand. Now I know it’s Summer and I’ve been advocating this whole “eat better, eat lighter” healthy lifestyle. But sometimes a girl just needs a treat! I can assure you that these bars are worth every sweet and tasty calorie!
- 3/4 cup cashews, finely ground in a food processor
- 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 tsp coarse sea salt
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups fresh raspberries
- Pre-heat oven to 350º.
- Spray a 9x9" inch square baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together ground cashews,graham cracker crumbs, flour, sugar, and sea salt.
- Add butter and stir until ingredients are completely moistened.
- Press 2/3 of dough into the baking pan.
- Scatter raspberries over the top and crumble remaining dough over berries.
- Bake until top is golden brown, 35-40 minutes.
- Let cool in dish on wire rack before cutting into 9 bars.
- Serve and enjoy!
If you add 1 cup of raspberries and 1 cup of blueberries, these bars would make an awesome, patriotic dessert for the 4th of July! If you don’t have fresh berries, frozen berries will work just as well. You don’t taste too much of the cashews or graham cracker crumbs in these bars, but they work very well together!
These bars are buttery, not too sweet, and a tiny bit tart. I’m not a huge fan of sweets, but these raspberry crumble bars are amazing! They’re a perfect Summertime dessert to take along on picnics or to backyard gatherings!